Introduction to Electronic Portfolios in K-12 Education
facilitated by Dr. Helen Barrett
This class will provide an overview of student-centered electronic learning portfolios that also support classroom-based formative Assessment FOR Learning. Emphasis will be on how teachers can support students of all ages to use desktop, laptop, or mobile devices, focusing on (mostly free) Web 2.0 tools, to: Capture & Store Digital Evidence; Reflect on Learning; Give & Receive Feedback; Plan & Set Goals; Collaborate; Showcase Selected Work; and Evaluate Online Portfolios. (This is a generic course, with no specific tools or grade levels, although part of the process is to provide an overview of the different purposes and tools available, with an emphasis on collection, reflection, and direction/goal-setting). A major product of this course is a team developed plan for implementing electronic portfolios in K-12 education.
- Specialize within the course -- participants may choose to focus on more specific applications of ePortfolios:
- Introduction to Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students (Generic Tools) -- Participants will focus on the process and explore a variety of tools available to implement ePortfolios in K-12 schools
- Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Google Apps -- Participants focus on using Google Docs, Sites, Blogger, YouTube, Picasa, Digication, Teacher Dashboard.
- Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Mobile Devices -- Participants focus on using Mobile devices to support student reflection and learning portfolio development.
- Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Mahara -- Participants focus on using the open source Mahara software for implementing ePortfolios.
- Create Your Professional Portfolio using Web 2.0 tools -- Participants create a Professional Portfolio with choice of tools:
Google Sites, WordPress Pages, WikiSpaces, Blogger Pages, Mahara (hosted at http://portfoliocommunities.com/ or http://foliofor.me/)
- Facilitated Course Fee: $100 + $75 for each additional teacher from same school, submitted with same registration
Register through PayPal or send school district purchase order* with Registration Form (Word format) or (PDF Format)
- Credit Fee: $135 for three quarter credits (Register through Seattle Pacific University - Link TBA)
Participants are not required to sign up for college credit to participate in the facilitated course.
- Course content website: https://sites.google.com/site/k12eportfolios/
- Alternative content website (focusing on Google Apps): https://sites.google.com/site/k12eportfolioapps/
- Facilitated course interaction instructions to be sent upon receipt of registration fees (below)
A Google Plus account is needed if you want to participate in live discussions via Hangouts.
* Purchase orders accepted from educational institutions. Complete the Registration Form (linked above), and attach PDF version in email to Dr. Barrett, or send email to Dr. Barrett for surface mail address.
Once a paid member of a facilitated course, participants are included in the course Google Group and may choose to continue learning with subsequent cohorts.
Register and Pay through PayPal
Register for facilitated course beginning in September 2012.
*Groups of four or more from the same school will also qualify for a one-hour private web-based teleconference with Dr. Barrett.
First Person in a school - US$100.00
Additional Person from same school* - US$75.00
(submitted with same registration - add each person individually)
Refund Policy: The content of the course is fully disclosed online, along with the various strategies for online course interaction. There will be no refund for either Facilitated Course Registration or SPU College Credit.
Register for College Credit through Seattle Pacific University
(Not required for participation in facilitated course)
Registration details will be provided with confirmation of the PayPal registration.